Saturday, December 7, 2013

The part of the course that I learned the most in were the talking sessions.  I found the anecdotes provided to be very insightful looks at the things that could be modeled economically.  This was further enhanced for me by reading the book, something that I wish was stressed more in the course.  I found the book to be quite engaging, and wish that more had been done with it.  I imagine I am the only student who feels this way, however.  But, this is because I learn the best, by far, from reading.

I like the blogs.  I like reading other students experiences, perspectives, and ideas.  I think it allows for a lot more creativity than one normally finds in an economics course.  Furthermore, I like the commenting groups.  I found it nice to see how my fellow students were progressing throughout the course; I even read other students' blogs from time to time to see what the buzz was elsewhere.  When I am blogging, I usually read the prompt at the beginning of the week and mull over what I'm going to write.  This week, I have overmulled, since I'm posting this on Saturday night.  At the end of the week, I write up the blog post, occasionally have a friend look it over, and then submit.  I spend up to a half hour per blog post.  As you may have noticed, I like to spice it up with a picture each week to break up the monotony of the text.  I couldn't think of anything that was too relevant, so I am leaving you with the cutest picture that is known to man.


For the Excel, I try to be more proactive.  I do this because if there is a problem that I can't figure out, I have more time to work on it with less stress than if I were doing it Wednesday at 10:30 pm.  I've spent anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours working on an Excel homework.  The latter ended up being  a cell reference problem and not a math problem, which was quite irksome.

Something I would have like to see in the class, as I mentioned before, was more use of the book.  It seemed like an afterthought.  I don't know how to integrate it more into the class, though.  Perhaps linking it somehow with the blog posts?  Professor Arvan seems to like modeling; I do not.  I do not think I am alone on this one.  I would have like to see more numbers and less e-bars and w-tildes.  If theory must be stuck to, I think more work on the board would be helpful.  Yes, our eyes glaze over, but we are only seeing the math once.  I found that I really needed the math to be worked out in front of me rather than just neatly shown in the Excel.  

3 comments:

  1. The book here means Milgrom and Roberts, right? Or were you referring to Bolman and Deal?

    It was pretty evident that you liked class discussion because you often participated in it and would come up with fresh examples. Thanks for that. I do think those stories give the course some much needed reality that is missing from many other economics courses.

    On the modeling (really I think you mean algebra here), the Excel gets you to do a bit of that both ways with the need for using cell references. Economics as economists talk about it is always done with algebra - if in reference to a model - and to numbers - if in reference to data. The course didn't have numerical data as a component. So to keep in the tradition of economics, the algebra approach is the right one. But if you are not comfortable with the algebra then it just looks like a bunch of symbols, and you can't get to the ideas behind them. That is an issue, no doubt. We should discuss what to do about it on Tuesday.

    On the enjoying other students' blog posts, I wish everyone in the class were like you. Then some sense of community in the class might have developed. We didn't get that far. If you have further thoughts about how others might enjoy the work of their classmates, I'd be all ears.

    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really interesting to see how you utilized the textbook most and learned most from class discussion, that is quite different from how I approached the class and learning. However, I do agree that working through the math problems in class would have been quite beneficial. I've felt like preparing for exams in this class has consisted of learning the material during the review session and then studying that to be prepared for the exam, which is quite different from what my other classes have entailed.

    Appreciate the cute picture as well, I always liked how you included pictures in your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting as well that the book was so helpful to you. I agree that it is an essential piece of material used in the course, however, I am happy that the structure of the course accommodates more than one type of learner.

    Also, I enjoyed your pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete