Friday, November 15, 2013

Trading in the Tie for a Toga

As I've mentioned before, at my job all of the staff are students.  Because students are generally only here for four years, there is a lot of turnover for staff.  I've been at my job for three and a half years (including each summer).  I only know of a handful of other people that have been at the job as long as I have.  Because I have been at this job for so long, I have gained a reputation from both the staff and the supervisors.

I would say that it is a positive reputation.  I am someone who likes to stay busy, I like to address things before they become a problem, and I have a great attention to detail.  The new staff see me as someone that they can ask a question to in lieu of the supervisor.  (By now, I know where basically everything in the building is and how to address most common questions and problems.)  The supervisors see me as someone who they can give a task and a team to, and I will get the job done efficiently and well.

To keep my reputation, I just continue to try and be a leader at work and to act proactively with issues that arise.  The supervisors really like to hear that there was a problem that was fixed without them having to intervene.  In addition, I make sure to get to work on time, and I always stay until every last thing is done for the night.  I keep my good reputation at work, because if I can't find a job in my field, I'm hoping to work as a supervisor at my job instead of moving in with my parents (or something similarly as hellish.)


I definitely have cashed in my reputation a time or two for personal gains.  Often times, I'm working late on Friday and Saturday nights; I get out anywhere from 11pm - 1am some nights.  I'm a college student, so weekend nights are the most fun, and the last thing I want to be doing is cleaning up from an event when I could be attending a toga party.  On a few occasions, I've just said to my manager, "I want to leave, is there anyway I can make a deal with you?"  Because I have such a good reputation, they often are able to come up with quick and dirty jobs for me to balance out leaving an hour or so early.  

6 comments:

  1. It's great that you are able to keep a good working balance and reputation with your coworkers and your supervisors. I was about to ask why you try to keep your reputation intact until you stated how it is your backup plan for a job once you graduate. Would becoming a supervisor be possible for you before graduating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I can only be student supervisor while still in school. As such, I'm in charge of something like a coffee hour where there isn't too much need for a real supervisor.

      Delete
  2. Has cashing in your reputation always been worth it in the end? Has there ever been a time when you acting contrary to your reputation negatively affected you in some way? How many times would be too many times before your reputation is permanently altered?

    Also, I admire how determined you are to not move back in with your parents after college :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that it has hurt my reputation; usually I only do it when I know my absence wouldn't be missed, like when we are over staffed. I maybe have done it once a semester at most, so I don't think my reputation has suffered much. I mean, I still work there! I must be doing something right.

      Delete
  3. Are there toga parties on campus? How come I don't know about it?

    A thought occurred to me while reading this that may be relevant to your remark about turnover on the job. Is there a minimum age requirement for the work that you do? And, if so, is it 21 rather than 18? This got me to wonder whether you are a little bit older than your fellow students. If that's true, it might explain much of what you wrote.

    It is excellent to have a backup skill so you can find gainful employment even in a down market. However, I'd encourage you to push hard in your primary field, because human capital erodes after college if it is not utilized. You do need to eat and keep a roof over your head, but for the long term you are almost certainly better off to work in your major field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe there is a minimum age; I know there is a girl working that is 16, having graduated HS early. And I'm the ripe old age of 22. I'm already seeing wrinkles.

      As for the toga party, I'll invite you to my next toga party if you invite me to these tailgates with all the higher ups in the university. Deal?

      Delete